Thursday, September 20, 2012

Owl City - Week of September 15, 2012

Today dies a true disaster of a song.  I am surely hopeful that everyone is able to decipher for themselves which of the two below I am referring to.  Before we get on to this week’s Fresh-45, here’s a list of all the songs we’re saying good-bye to this week.
  • Marina and the Diamonds - Primadonna
  • Gym Class Heroes Ft. Ryan Tedder - The Fighter
The Countdown:

1. Owl City Ft. Carly Rae Jepsen - Good Time (#2) [First Week at #1]
2. Katy Perry- Wide Awake (#7)
3. Maroon 5 feat. Wiz Khalifa- Payphone (#1)
4. Demi Lovato- Give Your Heart a Break (#5)
5. Neon Trees- Everybody Talks (#23)
6. Pink - Blow Me (One Last Kiss) (#3)
7. Matchbox Twenty - She's So Mean (#12)
8. Flo Rida- Whistle (#8)
9. Ellie Goulding- Lights (#15)
10. Linkin Park- Burn It Down (#6)
11. Kelly Clarkson - Dark Side (#9)
12. fun. - Some Nights (#4)
13. Nicki Minaj - Pound the Alarm (#14)
14. Train - 50 Ways to Say Goodbye (#10)
15. Carly Rae Jepsen- Call Me Maybe (#11)
16. Ne-Yo - Let Me Love You (#16)
17. Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (#19)
18. Rudimental Ft. John Newman - Feel the Love (#24)
19. Maroon 5 - One More Night (#21)
20. Timomatic - Set It Off (#20)
21. Conor Maynard - Vegas Girl (#25)
22. will.i.am - This Is Love (#26)
23. The Cab - Intoxicated (#34)
24. Olly Murs Ft. Chiddy Bang - Heart Skips a Beat (#18)
25. OneRepublic - Feel Again (#32)
26. Cobra Starship - #1Nite (#22)
27. Karmin - Hello (#37)
28. Allstar Weekend - Life As We Know It (#40)
29. Martin Solveig - The Night Out (#29)
30. One Direction- What Makes You Beautiful (#27)
31. Nicki Minaj- Starships (#35)
32. Ed Sheeran - The A Team (#30)
33. David Guetta feat. Sia- Titanium (#31)
34. Cher Lloyd- Want U Back (#13)
35. Jason Mraz - I Won't Give Up (#42)
36. Katy Perry - Part of Me (#41)
37. Gotye feat. Kimbra- Somebody That I Used to Know (#38)
38. PSY - Gangnam Style (DEBUT)
39. fun. feat. Janelle Monáe- We Are Young (#36)
40. Karmin- Brokenhearted (#17)
41. Imagine Dragons - It's Time (RE-ENTRY)
42. Flo Rida feat. Sia- Wild Ones (#39)
43. Alex Clare- Too Close (#44)
44. One Direction- One Thing (#43)
45. We Are the In Crowd feat. Alex Gaskarth- Kiss Me Again (#28)

Biggest DDDDRRRROOOPPPP!!!!!!....of the week: Karmin – Brokenhearted (-23)
Biggest Jump of the Week: Neon Trees – Everybody Talks (+18)

Yeah.  You read the Biggest Jump of the Week correctly.  This countdown can be really random with regards to its treatment of over-the-hill songs.  Everybody Talks is at #5.  What?

A warm welcome back to Imgaine Dragons – It’s Time.  Stay as long as you like, old friend.  I wonder how much of its resurrection had to do with its appearance on the season premiere of Glee.  My guess is that a lot of mainstreamers were previously unaware of this song.

Though we got rid of one total catastrophe, we may have another on our hands in the form of PSY – Gangnam Style.  The South Korean satire is fast becoming ubiquitous.  I was pretty repulsed by it at first listen.  It had a weird, addictive quality for the next couple, but I can safely say that after 5 listens, I’m finished with it.  It might help if I was fluent in Korean (and yes, I have googled the song meaning), but I’m not, and so all that’s left is an intermittently catchy trainwreck of gibberish that’s bailed out somewhat by an entertaining music video.

I’ve read a few scathing criticisms (not directed at me or my personal rating) of this week’s new #1 song, Owl City Ft. Carly Rae Jepsen – Good Time.  The best criticism you can make is “dumb lyrics blah blah blah”.  I guess my only reply to why I don’t let that stifle my appreciation for Good Time is…well….look at this list of 45 songs.  Find me 5 that you appreciate because of genius songwriting.  Go ahead.  I’ll wait.  I’ll even give you the first two.  Ed Sheeran – The A Team and fun. – Some Nights.  Bottom line is, this isn’t my favorite genre of music….but since I’m here, I’ll appreciate it for why it’s typically even useful in the first place, and that’s sound first, meaning second.  Few songs will put me in as good a mood as Good Time.  It’s the same reason I loved Fireflies and the reason everyone else loves Call Me Maybe.

I’m anxious for the Hit-Bound bubble to burst.  We need an infusion of new good songs, and for the first time in months, Hit-Bound is waiting and ready to oblige.  Let’s hope the correct songs are picked to graduate.

Edtior’s Picks – Top 5 Songs
1) Owl City Ft. Carly Rae Jepsen – Good Time
2) Ed Sheeran – The A Team
3) Imagine Dragons – It’s Time
4) Jason Mraz – I Won’t Give Up
5) Pink – Blow Me (One Last Kiss)

No comments:

Post a Comment